No one likes to open their moving boxes post move and find broken belongings.
If you don’t want this to be your reality, it’s important to incorporate a few packing and moving best practices during your move.
Let’s explore a few ways you can keep your items safe throughout the process!
5 Moving Tips to Keep Your Items Safe
1. Pick the right boxes for the job and pack them correctly.
You may be inclined to be a little lazy about your packing process, but this is often how things get damaged! Start by assessing your belongings and organizing them by weight and durability. Once you have a pretty good system in place, pack heavy items in small boxes and light items in bigger ones.
Not only is this safer for the individual responsible for schlepping your boxes, but it also ensures your items remain in one piece. For example, it doesn’t make much sense to pack fine china and hardcover books in the same box!
You will also want to make sure your boxes aren’t under packed or over packed. Under packed boxes leave plenty of space for items to shift; over packed boxes can create a similar mess. For more box tips, visit how to pack your boxes like a pro.
2. Use the layer and/or wrapping method.
Start by putting a layer of Styrofoam peanuts or a cushion at the bottom of your boxes.
Make sure to wrap fragile items in additional wrappings, like newspaper or a blanket. Using wrapping materials like bubble wrap between each layer of belongings is another sure-fire way to protect items from shifting during the move.
3. Use labels on all of your boxes.
Not only will you want to label your boxes to keep organized, but labeling boxes with fragile markers or “this side up” reminders signify how these boxes should be cared for during the moving process.
4. Special items should remain your responsibility.
If you have antique items, heirlooms, or one-of-a-kind pieces that mean a lot to you, keep these in a box that stays with you during your move. Although professional moving companies know what they are doing, it’s best these kinds of items remain with you during the move.
5. Hire your moving team to pack for you.
Once you have stored away items you plan to move yourself, speak to your moving team. Professional movers have plenty of experience in the packing arena and can streamline the packing process in ways you can’t imagine!
Here’s How Ramsey’s Moving Systems can help:
- As a top-rated moving company, we supply moving blankets, plastic wrap and other materials to make sure your items are packed and wrapped safely.
- We will create specialty boxes like wardrobe, picture and chandelier boxes for specialty items that require extra packaging.
- We always have moving dollies, loading ramps and cargo straps closeby to quickly and safely transport your items from your space to our moving truck.
- We are spatial experts! We know how to stack and store things safely in our vehicles so that items remain in place during transit.
- We value safety over everything. Moving is manual labor and can take a toll on your body if the right precautions aren’t taken seriously. We always use the best practices when packing and moving your items, so your belongings and our team remain safe!
Contact Ramsey’s Moving Systems for Your Move
Moving can be a stressful task, but when you rely on the Ramsey’s crew, you can relax! From initial planning to the actual move day, our clients always receive top quality care. To get started with your move, contact us today.