Moving is a stressful and expensive process. You don’t want to make it more stressful or add on extra expenses by scratching your new floors. It’s important to protect your floors properly from the destruction of a move.
We came up with a list to ensure your floors stay in tip-top shape during your move!
How To Easily Prepare Your Floors For Moving Day
For starters, try to pack boxes light enough to carry! No items should be dragged across the floor. If you’re moving heavier items, such as furniture, it’s best to have the help from multiple people! The idea is if the floor doesn’t get touched, it won’t get scratched. But if you can’t avoid your boxes touching the floor, you can follow the following tips:
- Put a protective covering on all hardwood floors. Runners that roll out flat and cling to your floor with a non-adhesive and slip-resistant backing work great. You can find these products from companies like Protective Products and Homasote.
- Wrap the edges and feet of tables and chairs with furniture blankets. This will protect hardwood floors if any of these items are dropped. Remember to double tape any moving boxes to ensure no break-through.
- Measure your furniture and doorways before moving. This will allow you to plan for any tight spaces. If you try and push furniture through a tighter space you may drop it, resulting in damage to the floor.
- Be cautious of the weather. If it’s raining or snowing, salt, mud, or water can be tracked onto your floors and damage it. Remember to put a heavy-duty weather mat at your front door so all shoes get wiped off before entering the home.
- Purchase furniture sliders. Furniture sliders are pieces of strong plastic with fitted hard rubbers to ensure the friction from the heavy object does not damage your hardwood floor.
Contact Ramsey’s Moving Systems
Here at Ramsey’s we understand that protecting your floors in your old and new home is a top priority. We promise to be mindful to ensure your floors are protected during the moving process. We also help with junk removal and senior moving.
For more information, contact us today!